man quits back to the prompt after CTRL-G

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Oct 14 14:13:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Bill Campbell wrote:
>> The -e and -E options to less control this.  You want neither of
>> these specified if you don't want to have less automatically exit
>> at end-of-file.  The ``-e'' option causes it to exit the second
>> time it hits eof while ``-E'' exits the first time.
>
> Bill,
>
> Thank you for your explanation.  I hope to find that my PAGER
> environment variable is "less -E".  If so, I will drop the -E.

You probably also want the ``-r'' option which I think gets less
to properly highlight the nroff things like bold.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a
specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a 'dismal
science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous
opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
    -- Murray N. Rothbard