Daily report cannot be emailed to a jailed mail server

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Oct 8 02:09:36 UTC 2009

David N wrote:
> 2009/10/8 Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca>:
>> David N wrote:

[ big snips ]

>>> When i try to send an email i get

>>> Oct  8 08:47:07 server sm-mta[95130]: n97Ll7VV095129: SYSERR(root): MX
>>> list for anotherdomain.com.au. points back to server.net

>> Nonetheless, you can force Sendmail to push email to a different server
>> directly (overriding the DNS MX entries) with a 'mailertable' file in
>> /etc/mail. Here's one on a secondary MX:
>>
>> %cat /etc/mail/mailertable
>> ibctech.ca      smtp:[smtp.ibctech.ca]
>> ipv6canada.com  smtp:[smtp.ipv6canada.com]
>>
>> After the file is created, a simple 'make' in /etc/mail will build the
>> mailertable.db file for you and take effect immediately (much like
>> 'newaliases').

> Thank you so much, it worked =)
>
> My MX records are correct, i could get mail from the outside, but just
> couldn't get the daily reports to deliver it.

I'm glad it worked. Believe me, if that simple change made it work for
you, then it was worth my headache to have spent the time to learn it
for myself ;)

For the last few years, I've only used Sendmail (or sendmail) to act as
a backup MX, or to directly deliver mail from the box I am on...hence,
it's been a while...

There may be other ramifications to using `mailertable' in your
particular environment.

I don't know how your system will react, given a default setup and a
mailertable entry.

It's possible (but untested) that if the server that is specified in the
mailertable is down, your reports might not make it to you ( whether
that's bad or good is up for interpretation... I've always known no news
as good news ;)

Perhaps Giorgos or someone else may be able to provide a better
understanding.

Steve