/ almost out of space just after installation

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Wed Oct 7 12:27:00 UTC 2009

Jonathan Chen writes:
>  > I just installed FreeBSD. After I installed it, I was surprised
>  >  to find only 26M of space on /.  I used the auto-defaults during
>  >  the Disklabel portion of the install.
>  >
>  > [cstankevitz at crs-m6300 ~]$ df -h
>  > Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>  > /dev/ad4s1a    496M    430M     26M    94%    /
>  > devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
>  > /dev/ad4s1e    496M     14K    456M     0%    /tmp
>  > /dev/ad4s1f    113G    1.9G    102G     2%    /usr
>  > /dev/ad4s1d    2.9G    7.9M    2.6G     0%    /var
>  >
>  > Q1: Is 26M free space on / after installing FreeBSD normal?
>  >

>  The amount used (ie: 430M) looks about right. On my
>  FreeBSD-7.2-STABLE/amd64, running a GENERIC kernel with a minimal
>  /etc, my / filesystem is using 443M. However, this has a
>  /boot/kernel and a /boot/kernel.old, both of which chews up 210M
>  each.

	Agreed.
	Other minor suggestions to the OP: check the contents of /root,
and move anything large that can live elsewhere and create a
symlink.  And somethings can just be deleted: if root uses
<preferred web browser> two or three times a year, then a large
cache is probably superfluous.
	Look for any ".core" files, which can usually be deleted.

	It is my understanding that - providing /tmp is on a separate
partition - / should receive very little traffic, and the size
should stabilize quickly.

					Robert Huff