FBSD 7.2 - ports blocked but no firewall

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Oct 7 09:07:20 UTC 2009

Gene <fbsd at bomgardner.net> wrote:
 > On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 11:05:19 -0700, Chris Cowart wrote
 > > Gene wrote:
 > > > I'm running 7.2 GENERIC and installed the unrealirc port. I've started it up
 > > > and can connect from localhost just fine. But when attempting to connect from
 > > > the outside world (eg. from another box on the lan) I get connection refused.
 > > >
 > > > I've tried both with and without ipfilter running (with appropriate rule).
 > > > Other ports are reachable including a non-standard port used for ssh.
 > > >
 > > > The question: Could there be any reason that port 6667 might be blocked?
 > > > (Unrealircd questions can be taken up elsewhere).
 > >
 > > It's possible you've configured Unrealircd to only listen on
 > > localhost and not on "*".
 > >
 > > Look for something like:
 > >
 > > | listen         *:6697
 > > | {
 > > | };
 > >
 > > And make sure it's "*" and not "127.0.0.1".
 >
 > Checked and it's correct.

Please check the output from this command:

sockstat -l | grep :6667

It will tell you if the daemon is listening on localhost
only or on all interfaces.  This will narrow done the
cause of the problem:  If the daemon listens on localhost,
then it's a configuration problem with that daemon.
If it listens on all interfaces ("*"), then the problem
is somewhere else, e.g. a packet filter (on the server or
client side, or somewhere between), or maybe a typo when
starting the client (wrong port number or address).

Best regards
   Oliver

"We will perhaps eventually be writing only small modules which are identi-
fied by name as they are used to build larger ones, so that devices like
indentation, rather than delimiters, might become feasible for expressing
local structure in the source language." -- Donald E. Knuth, 1974