Updating the ports collection

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Oct 7 00:51:40 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

> The FreeBSD handbook section 4.5.1 describes several methods for
> obtaining the ports collection including CVSup, Portsnap, and sysinstall.
>
> Section 4.5.1 also describes how to update the ports collection, but
> only for the CVSup and Portsnap methods.
>
> Q1: How do I update the ports collection after using sysinstall to
> obtain it?

I cannot speak for postsnap, but for cvsup:

- you re-run sysinstall and install cvsup from the CD
  (Configure/Packages/Net/CVSup)

- or, since you installed the port tree, you go to
  /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui and you make, make install, make
  clean

> Q2: Is this explained in the handbook?  If so, where?

Some may correct me, but I use a file that contains:

*default tag=.
*default host=cvsup2.jp.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all

You may change the default host accordingly.

Then I use the command cvsup <name_of_that_file>

Best,

Olivier