way to check an email without sending it??

Karl Vogel vogelke+unix at pobox.com
Mon Oct 5 21:45:17 UTC 2009

>> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:59:24 -0400,
>> Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> said:

B> Telnet to the service and start a SMTP transaction, but then abort it.
B> If you don't get a rejection after the "rcpt to:" line, then you know
B> the server will accept the mail and you can close the connection without
B> completing the transaction.

B> Note, that this is no guarantee.  Some spam catching nonsense may accept
B> the mail right up to end, then throw it away without delivering it.

   qmail will accept any valid address on the host, because the message
   might be forwarded or handled by a program.  "Rcpt to:" always returns
   ok unless the address itself is mangled.  The VRFY command is always
   answered like this to keep people from harvesting addresses:

     vrfy <santaclause at example.com>
     252 send some mail, i'll try my best

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Sam:  What's going on, Normie?
Norm: My birthday, Sammy.  Give me a beer, stick a candle in it,
      and I'll blow out my liver.                                --"Cheers"