usenet configuration

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Oct 3 15:58:23 UTC 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> Aflatoon Aflatooni said the following on 2009-10-01 19:17:
>> What is needed in order to run nntp?
>
> INN https://www.isc.org/software/inn
> A faq for INN is at http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html
>
> Diablo gttp://www.openusenet.org/diablo
> A faq for diablo is at the above address.
>
> DNews http://www.netwinsite.com/dnews.htm
>
> Typhoon (not free/open) http://www.highwinds-software.com/

And if the needs are small, one might be able to get away with just
running leafnode.  Leafnode is *not* a full NNTP server, but for small
networks with limited needs, it might be sufficient.

I'm not familiar at all with Typhoon and Diablo.  The last time I used
DNews (a very very long time ago) it had some really nice design
features that made it appropriate for situations between what one
would use leafnode and INN, but it was buggy (this was a long time
ago, those bugs have probably been fixed).  INN, of course, is the
sendmail, of Usenet servers.

Cheers,

-j