ZFS on FreeBSD 7.2

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Fri Oct 2 21:34:02 UTC 2009

Graeme Dargie wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I currently have machine with 6x500gb hdd`s running under ZFS RaidZ
> everything is working just fine, I have bought 2x3bay ICY Dock bays for
> this machine, my questions is do I have to make sure the drives go back
> on to the same sata ports as they are currently on or will ZFS sort it
> self out?

Before you remove the drives, export the zpool; after moving them,
import the zpool. This will scan all connected devices and put
everything where it needs to be. If you forget to export before
shuffling the devices and zfs complains, just export and import the pool
and it should sort itself out.

--------
freenas:~# zpool list
NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT
data                    931G    630G    301G    67%  ONLINE     -
freenas:~# zpool export data
freenas:~# zpool list
no pools available
freenas:~# zpool import
  pool: data
    id: 12298073319825187638
 state: ONLINE
action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier.
config:

        data        ONLINE
          raidz1    ONLINE
            ad0     ONLINE