8.0-RELEASE and "dangerously dedicated" disks

Peggy Wilkins enlil65 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 17:53:03 UTC 2009

Can someone elaborate on what exactly this statement in the 8.0
detailed release notes means?

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/relnotes-detailed.html#FS

> 2.2.5 File Systems
>
> “dangerously dedicated” mode for the UFS file system is no longer supported.
>
>  Important: Such disks will need to be reformatted to work with this release.

Due to history I won't go into, all my production (currently
7.2-RELEASE) systems are installed onto "dangerously dedicated" disks.
 What exactly do I need to do to upgrade them to 8.0?  (I'm not asking
for an upgrade procedure, I'm familiar with that, but rather, how this
change impacts the upgrade.)  I think that the suggestion that the
disks need to be reformatted is extreme and I hope something less
extreme will suffice.

Also, just to be clear, does this statement refer to boot disks, data
disks, or both?

It doesn't make sense to me that "dangerously dedicated" could have an
impact on UFS filesystems specifically.  A partition table is just a
partition table, regardless of what filesystems might be written on
disks, yes?  Am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks for helping to clear up my confusion...

plw