Removing installed packages

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 28 16:38:23 UTC 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:16:58 -0800, Rem P Roberti <remegius at comcast.net> wrote:
> In trying to upgrade CUPS on a new 7.2 installation (CUPS was installed
> via sysinstall) the upgrade choked, and then I saw in UPDATING that
> print/cups has been split into multiple ports, and that in order to
> upgrade you must first remove the installed version.  What is the best
> way to do that?  Should I be using pkg_delete and, if so, with what
> switch or switches?

I think

	# pkg_delete -x cups

should be sufficient. It will remove all the packages from
your system that contain "cups" in their name.

If you're a bit unsure for such a "drastic" method, remove
the CUPS packages separately, e. g.

	# pkg_delete -f cups-base-1.2.3.4
	# pkg_delete -f cups-foobar-5.6.7.8

Using -f makes sure that you don't have to pay attention to
the order of removal, or packages that depend on CUPS.

Another way is to enter the CUPS port directory and issue
the command

	# make deinstall

Then you can continue in that port directory with

	# make reinstall

if you've already updated your ports source tree. The new
version of CUPS will then be installed that way. Of course,
there's nothing wrong with using the precompiled packages
that you can add with the pkg_add -r mechanism.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany