hp 10-in mini?

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Nov 25 03:20:09 UTC 2009

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 05:34:04PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
>> Gary Kline wrote:
>> Aloha Gary,
>>
>> I have one running Ubuntu Linux on the HD. It works ok on a wired or
>> wireless network with a Fixed IP. The automatic gui for setting up the
>> network failed to work and stay where it was set so I wrote the file
>> myself using a fixed IP  etc. I also run FreeBSD 7.2 on it on a plug in
>> flash drive using Manolis DVD copy. I paid $400. with extra battery and
>> memory.
>

> 	I may have-to spring for one of these puppies -- with optical
> 	and mouse.  At least two medicos are interested in my ideas...
> 	[Still, half-price upped my buy_now flag:)
>
>> Haven't set up the wireless for use with Coffee Shop wan yet.
>>
>> Tech support for the mini is from India and I know more than they do
>> about Linux and  haven't used Linux in years.
>>
>> The Mini has had no problems except the touch pad is usless. Touching
>> the pad  is a click or several same as the buttons.) I found out that by
>> touching the light above it turns it off so you can use a wireless mouse
>> which works well. HP Tech support did not know how to disable the
>> touchpad. A terminal is brought up by alt/f2.
>
> 	What kind? xterm, konsole, or the gnome flavor?  I prefer
> 	something with a solid cursor; the Gnome blinks ... and I'm
> 	too lazy to dig into the code to see where to off the
> 	blinking.  this is getting interestinger and interestinger.
>
> 	aloha, al.
>

>> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>>   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
>>   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
>>   < email: noc at hdk5.net >
>> "All that's really worth doing is what we do for others."- Lewis Carrol

The Ubuntu is based on Debian Linux and is only the base system. I use
xterm and the browser and the files we created ourselves for storing
info. The GUI is a HP thing and I dont like it. It has too many photo
features and other things we dont need since my wife has a dedicated Box
she uses for photos and videos. Our mini is for using while traveling
and keeping up with finances while were on the go etc.