7.2-STABLE to 8-R

Rolf G Nielsen lazlar at lazlarlyricon.com
Tue Nov 24 21:29:47 UTC 2009

Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Tue 24 Nov 2009 at 13:09:48 PST Roland Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:40:25PM +0000, John wrote:
>>>
>>> Regarding ports, I think I'll take the long route. This box is my main
>>> machine, my desktop - and so there are a LOT of ports installed. It will
>>> be easier to make portmanager rebuild everything in pristine mode. It
>>> will take a long time, but I accept this. Before this is done, I run the
>>> built-in routines in /usr/ports - clean out */work/* and distfiles.
>>
>> I would _strongly_ advise you to make a list of all your current
>> ports, e.g. with
>> 'portmaster -L >ports.list', deleting all ports and re-installing the
>> ports
>> labeled as 'leaf ports' and 'root ports' in ports.list.
>>
>> While portmaster/-manager do their best, they just cannot cover all
>> the corner
>> cases, especially since some ports require extra action (e.g. perl!)
>> There is
>> a good chance you'll end up with a big mess like binaries linked to
>> both 7.x
>> and 8.x libraries or ports failing to build for mysterious reasons.
>> Both have
>> happened to me in the past and are a major PITA to fix.
>>
>> I've done the complete delete/reinstall run a couple of times now on my
>> desktop with ???490 ports installed.
>
> Can someone remind me once again, when rebuilding all of my ports, what
> is the trick for avoiding the options dialogs?  I'd like to have this
> run largely unattended. I seem to recall someone describing a method to
> go through all of them upfront, rather than having the build process
> interrupted each time a port wants that input.
>
> I know that portupgrade has a batch build option, but unless I'm
> mistaken, that skips any ports that need interaction to build.

With portupgrade give -C to run make "make config" or -c to run "make
config-conditional" for all tasks before everything else.

To skip the config dialogs altogether, specify -DBATCH on the make
commandline (-m "-DBATCH" or -M "-DBATCH" to portupgrade to append or
prepend the -DBATCH to the make commandline).

Cheers,

Rolf Nielsen