spamassassin question

Marwan Sultan dead_line at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:40:38 UTC 2009

Hi Gary,

> just to be complete++, :-), you mean
> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
> , is this correct??

 Yes, You are 100% Correct :)

> would you check my tying to see if i've made any mistakes?

 Again, Correct :)

> another question: are these the same perms, 0755, as before [in /root]?
> i want to document and save these data in a local spamd howto
> file for the next time i need to go thru this morass...

 Gary, Its a sensitive part! if I give you the wrong permission you will be exposed to

 attackers! I my self dunt have the right permission, because I didnot have enough

 time to look for it, however

 If you set the wrong permission and you run spamd you will see error in you

 log files as "cannot create ..etc.. permission denied"

 You will have to go back and change the permission..

 and start spamd again..and check your log again..755 might be very good.

 after you set 0755 check your log..all errors should disappear.

> lastly, what format is used in the whitelist? is it similar
> to what i have in /etc/mail/access?

 Well, I never change the whitelist, my openwebmail generates the data Automaticaly.

 You will not need to touch the file, as your webmail client will do it.

 However to answer your question its as

 whitelist_from  user at xxx.xxx

 whitelist_from  *@xxx.xxx

 donot forget to change /usr/local/etc/rc.d/spamass-milter

 where it says owner and group to "spamd"

 So it run as spamd user instead of root.

 and this is in your /etc/rc.conf

spamd_enable="YES"
spamass_milter_enable="YES"
spamd_flags="-u spamd -H /var/spool/spamd"

 note that after -u there is spamd (which is the user)

 Good luck.

 Marwan.