GUI for file permissions management

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Nov 19 19:11:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 08:22:17AM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> 2009/11/19 Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com>:
> > Someone asked me recently whether a GUI for file permissions management
>
> Anything like:  mc, worker, rox, etc?

Those are all filesystem browsers/managers -- right?  I've already told
the person who asked that many such applications have that kind of
functionality.  In my initial question to this list, I said:

> > I know that some filesystem browser applications like Nautilus
> > provide at least some of that kind of functionality, but wondered if
> > there was a somewhat simple, stand-alone GUI that covered that kind
> > of thing out there.

Do you know if there's anything like *that* available, rather than an
entire filesystem browser/manager application that just happens to also
have a way to change permissions on files and directories?

Also . . . do any of the applications you mentioned provide a way to
manage things like umasks or home directory default permissions?  In my
original post to this list, I had also mentioned that sort of thing:

> >  login.conf or adduser.conf configuration

. . . though I'm not holding my breath on that.  I rather suspect
managing umasks in login.conf and user directory default permissions in
adduser.conf is not something anyone has bothered to incorporate in a GUI
interface.