moving an entire system

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 15:19:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:

> n dhert wrote:
> > I want to move the contents of a freebsd72 system entirely to different
> > hardware (also Intel 64-bit), using dump/restore
> > These are the filesystems now:
> > /dev/da0s1a     2026030    650876    1213072    35%    /
> > /dev/da0s1e    20308398    652820   18030908     3%    /tmp
> > /dev/da0s1f    95719170  12449998   75611640    14%    /usr
> > /dev/da0s1d    20308398   2960282   15723446    16%    /var
> > /dev/da1p1   2175407698 168279068 1833096016     8%    /home
> > How should one proceed? I have an 286 Gb external USB disk formatted with
> > single
> > slice large enough to hold all dumps of all fileystems, mounted on
> /seagate
> > /dev/da2s1a   283810126        12  260463064     0%    /seagate
> >
> > a. put the original machine in single-user mode
> > b. use dump  (could L be left out if machine is in single-user mode?)
> >

> yes
> > /sbin/dump -0aL -f /seagate/dumpofroot.dmp /dev/da0s1a
> > /sbin/dump -0aL -f /seagate/dumpoftmp.dmp /dev/da0s1e
> > /sbin/dump -0aL -f /seagate/dumpofusr.dmp /dev/da0s1f
> > /sbin/dump -0aL -f /seagate/dumpofvar.dmp /dev/da0s1d
> > /sbin/dump -0aL -f /seagate/dumpofhome.dmp /dev/da1p1
> >

> so far so good. You probably don't need to dump /tmp.
>
> > c. on the target machine, do a complete install of freeBSD72 from CD with
> > same partition layout as original machine
> >

> No need. Just boot using the DVD or LiveFS and select the fixit option,
> and the 'Use the Live CD/DVD filesystem'
>
> > (On the target machine /home will be on /dev/da0s1g (no longer on
> > /dev/da1p1))
> >
> > d. target machine, plug in the external USB disk and mount it
> > # mkdir /seagate
> > # mount /dev/da2s1a /seagate
> >
> > e. restore file systems
> > How exactly ?  is this ok for /home :
> > # umount /home
> > # /sbin/newfs /dev/da0s1g
> > # /sbin/mount /dev/da0s1g /mnt
> > # cd /mnt
> > # /sbin/restore rf /seagate/dumpofhome.dmp
> > # umount /mnt
> > # mount /dev/da0s1g /home
> >
> > for /tmp,  /usr and /var?
> > It is safe to use same procedure? or else, how to do ?
> >
> > And what for /  file system ???
> > will same procedure work ?
> >
> First off, use  the fdisk option of sysinstall to create a slice. Press
> w to exit, so the  slice table is immediately written to disk. You may
> also use sysinstall to create the individual partitions, although this
> can be accomplished with bsdlabel once you are at the prompt.
>
> Install the MBR and boot blocks (assuming /dev/da0 is your boot disk and
> /dev/da0s1 is the FreeBSD slice):
>
> fdisk -B /dev/da0
> bsdlabel -B /dev/da0s1
>
> newfs all the new partitions, using -U for soft updates where needed.
> Usually soft updates are used in /var /usr and /tmp
>
> newfs /dev/da0s1a
> newfs -U /dev/da0s1d
> newfs -U /dev/da0s1e
> [...]
Thank you both for this really clear, explanative, concise and plain simple
how-to!
I will probably edit some parts, translate it to spanish and post it in my
forum. As soon as I do so, I'll let you guys know.
You guys just wrote a _should_be_in_a_magazine_ article !

Thank you!
Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi