pf in FreeBSD 8.0-RCx

Matt S maschwar77 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:01:39 UTC 2009

Hello All,

There seems to be an issue with pf (at startup/boot time) where I get an
error message about no IP address being associated with an interface.  The
only way I can get pf to load the rule set is to load it at the command line
by using pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf.  I have tried changing the startup order of
pf so that it loads after all of the networking interfaces are brought up
(including running the ppp daemon first to establish tun0) to no avail.  I
saw on the list that others have been experiencing a similar issue.
Obviously, I would like to have a fix for this because if I have to reboot
my box from a distant location, I am left with a wide open machine until I
can login and reload the pf ruleset.  What changed with pf since 7.2?

Thanks,
Matt