Bad Blocks... Should I RMA?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 17 17:55:07 UTC 2009

Hi--

On Nov 17, 2009, at 7:51 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
[ ... ]
> For instance, I've got two Fujitsu 5400rpm 2.5" drives in two laptops,
> one MHV2040AH with near 19,000 hours on it, and a much newer
> MHV2120AH,
> 40 and 120GB respectively.  Nice quiet low-power laptop drives, fwiw.
>
> Both show as (more recently) being in the smartctl database, and both
> show _exactly_ the same values for this one:
>
>  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   024    Pre-fail
> Always  -  8589934592000
>
> Now if that were a number of 512-byte sectors, it'd be 4096000 GB! :)
> but both drives are 100% ok, as the VALUE / WORST figures show.

I wouldn't conclude that the drives were 100% OK from that line,
although they *might* be; I'd conclude that the drives aren't
implementing this SMART field correctly in their firmware.  Are you
using the latest version of smartctl-- updates to that can sometimes
better interpret vendor-specific odditities.

Regards,
--
-Chuck