how to do a custom install?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 15 19:24:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 01:03:03 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	anybody remember what keys to hit in the installation procedure?

Let me access my brain... open(brain);

Start installation which brings up sysinstall. Choose CUSTOM.
First set up slice in FDISK, press 'd' to nuke 'em all, then 'c'
to create a new slice covering the whole disk (I think this is
what you want), give it active attribute with 's', then 'q'
to quit and write changes. Choose standard MBR. The go to
PARTITIONS. With 'c' (each one) create:
	1 GB -> FS -> mount as /
	2 GB -> SWAP
	1 GB -> FS -> mount as /tmp
	1 GB -> FS -> mount as /var
	10 GB -> FS -> mount as /usr
	50 GB -> FS -> mount as /usr/local
	* -> FS -> mount as /home
Adjust numbers to your individual needs, 'q' when done.
After that, proceed with installation. Choose packages,
services and other stuff as you want.

Always keep in mind: READ what's on the screen. Not doing
that could lead to massive data destruction. Oh wait, who
am I talking to? You already know that, and I didn't say
anything. :-)

According to terminology: In MICROS~1 land, slices are
called "DOS primary partitions". There can be 4 of them.
FreeBSD can create more than 4 slices per disk. What
FreeBSD calls partitions (i. e. subdivisions of a slice,
each holding a file system) have no expression in MICROS~1
land and could maybe be compared to "logical volumes inside
a DOS extended partition".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany