7.2-STABLE X mouse & keyboard issues

Enno Davids enno.davids at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:50:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> I just built a brand new 7.2 STABLE machine, and the xorg package. startx
> brings up a nice screen, but neither the mouse, nor the keyboard (both USB)
> function in X.
>
> I have not created a /etx/X11/ config file yet. Do I need to do so? If so,
> what;s the best way?

This may be the same problem I ran into 2 weeks ago.

The latest builds of X have changed a few defaults. Notably, the man page
for xorg.conf now suggests this.

> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "boolean"
>               If enabled, don't add the standard keyboard and  mouse
drivers,
>               if  there  are  no input devices in the config file.
Enabled by
>               default if AutoAddDevices and AutoEnableDevices is enabled,
oth-
>               erwise  disabled.   If  AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using
the
>               kbd, mouse or vmmouse driver are ignored.

So by default, it now doesn't add input devices. I found that building a
vestigal xorg.conf so I could change that back to "no" got me my input
devices back.

You may also want to change the DontZap option to get back the Ctrl-Alt-BS
key sequence  to exit the X server.

Enno

Enno Davids         03 9583 5474       040 999 2981
enno.davids at metva.com.au