Cut/Paste with USB mouse inoperative

Carmel carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:40:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:38:27 +0100
Polytropon Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> replied:

>On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:13:12 -0500, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>> 'X' has nothing to do with it. It fails to work both in and out of
>> 'X'. With the old mouse it worked fine.
>
>The moused program offers a diagnostics mode:
>
>	# moused -f -d -p /dev/ums0

Well, the results of that test does not exactly exhilarate me.

# moused -f -d -p /dev/ums0
moused: unable to open /dev/ums0: Device busy

>Maybe you can try this and see what really happens when you
>press the buttons? The -i option is interesting, too.
>
>> Way more trouble than it is worth. I might just go back to the old
>> mouse. Strangely enough, the new mouse works perfectly under Windows
>> so I know it is not broken.
>
>If it does work there, but not in FreeBSD, it might have a
>strangely constructed firmware which justifies the statement
>that it is "broken by design"... :-)

A common problem in today's society. It reminds me of an old adage:

Just like with unexploded bombs, Blame is best dealt with by passing it
as quickly as possible to someone else.

--
Carmel
carmel_ny at hotmail.com

If everything on the road of life seems to
be coming your way, you are in the wrong lane.