7.2-p4 serial console not showing kernel messages?

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:00:01 UTC 2009

On 11/9/09, Sven Hazejager <sven at hazejager.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 17:52, Lowell Gilbert
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> Checking the obvious: syslog.conf is configured to send the messages to
>> the console?
>
> Haven't touched syslog.conf but this all happens before syslog is even
> starting. The problem is that the console is VGA, even though I have
> "console=comconsole" AND boot.config containing "-h" AND sio.0.flags
> 0x30.
>
> Has anyone actually gotten a serial console to work with FreeBSD
> 7.2-release? I'm having the same problems with 7-STABLE.

FWIW, I do lots of serial consoles.  Biggest issue I have is the
boot.config options.

Personally, the switches to "detect" (-P) and "switch" (-h) don't
always seem to work (for me).

If I have to see anything at the console, not only do I setup
/boot/loader.conf but I will always use -D in /boot.config -- Dual
setup.  It pushes to both COM1 and VGA.

Please try that.