csup a single file?

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 01:42:57 UTC 2009

I'm trying to use csup to get a single file at a certain date.

In particular, I'm trying to get /usr/ports/UPDATING.

I made a copy of /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and made the
following changes:

  # pick a server
  *default host=cvsup9.FreeBSD.org

  # Date to sync to
  # (jw) I use this so I can gradually update ports, instead of
  # getting too many things changing at once causing upgrade pain
  date=2009.11.12.00.00.00

I then run the command:

  csup -L2 -i 'UPDATING' path/to/my/supfile

I have also tried 'UPDATING*', '*UPDATING*', and '/UPDATING*' since
i'm not sure from the docs exactly what the -i pattern should look
like.

However, none of those work.

What I want is to get the single file /usr/ports/UPDATING as of the
date given in the supfile.

What am I missing?
Am I going about it entirely wrong?

Thanks