[zfs-discuss] ZFS non-zero checksum and permanent error with deleted file

Steven Samuel Cole steven.samuel.cole at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:05:33 UTC 2009

Thank you very much for your reply! :-)

Trevor Pretty schrieb:
> Steven
>
> I had a similar problem back in 2006 when I was first playing with ZFS.
> Jeff Bronwick sent me this. It may (or not) help. I'm not sure if the
> number is still the inode. If it is a please let zfs-discuss know.
>

>> > I've a non-mirrored zfs file systems which shows the status below. I saw
>> > the thread in the archives about working this out but it looks like ZFS
>> > messages have changed. How do I find out what file(s) this is?
>> > [...]
>> > errors: The following persistent errors have been detected:
>> >
>> >           DATASET  OBJECT  RANGE
>> >           LOCAL    28905   3262251008-3262382080
>>

> I realize this is a bit lame, but currently the answer is:
>
> 	find /LOCAL -mount -inum 28905
>
> And yes, we do indeed plan to automate this.   ;-)
>
> Jeff

Did your output come from a Solaris system ?

I couldn't find anything about a -mount parameter in the find man page,
what does it do ?

[user at host ~]$ sudo zpool status -v zpool01
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

         zpool01:<0x3736a>

[user at host ~]$ sudo find /mnt/zpool01/ -inum 3736a
find: -inum: 3736a: illegal trailing character
[user at host ~]$ sudo find /mnt/zpool01/ -inum 0x3736a
find: -inum: 0x3736a: illegal trailing character

Apparently, the -inum parameter needs a decimal number:

[user at host ~]$ sudo find /mnt/zpool01/ -inum 226154
[user at host ~]$

How could find ever find anything ? The file at that inode as deleted
after all. And even if it did find anything, what would I do with the
result ?