What's wrong with this picture?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun May 31 06:00:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org wrote
in freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 260, Issue 31
[..]
 >    1. Fw: UK Currency Symbol in 7.2 Console (Graham Bentley)
 >    2. Re: find and searching for specific expression in files
 >       (Mel Flynn)
 >    3. Re: find and searching for specific expression in files
 >       (Valentin Bud)
 >    4. Re: MIME attachments in mbox files (Ian Smith)
 >    5. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (Jerry)
 >    6. FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found
 >       (Prokofyev Vladislav)
 >    7. GSM to Serial Converter (Exemys)
 >    8. Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found (Mel Flynn)
 >    9. Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found
 >       (Michael Powell)
 >   10. Re: GSM to Serial Converter (Kevin Kinsey)
 >   11. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (cpghost)
 >   12. Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found
 >       (Prokofyev Vladislav)
 >   13. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   14. Re: Fresh install 7.2-RELEASE i386, X won't start
 >       (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   15. Re: Failure to get past a PCI bridge (Ian Smith)
 >   16. Re: What is this forum for? (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   17. Re: Stable Mail Server And Web Mail (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   18. Re: What is this forum for? (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   19. Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found (Mel Flynn)
 >   20. Re: On the need for moderated questions lists (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   21. Re: Competition law (was Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint)
 >       (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   22. RE: On the need for moderated questions lists (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   23. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   24. Re: MIME attachments in mbox files (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   25. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   26. Re: On the need for moderated questions lists (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   27. Re: Remotely edit user disk quota (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   28. Re: find and searching for specific expression in files
 >       (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   29. Re: Stable Mail Server And Web Mail (Mel Flynn)
 >   30. Re: Software creating karaoke from mp3 files (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   31. Re: Greylisting and new posters (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   32. Re: find and searching for specific expression in files
 >       (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   33. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   34. Re: Canon printer and TurboPrint (cpghost)
 >   35. Filter request Re: GSM to Serial Converter (Wojciech Puchar)
 >   36. Re: Stable Mail Server And Web Mail (Wojciech Puchar)

Woj, 20 out of 36 messages, over 55% of all these messages, are by you.

Having been very busy in recent weeks, I'd accumulated about 24 digests
unread that I ploughed through yesterday, many of which featured over
50% of messages either from you, or from silly people reacting to you,
whose ranks I must join for just this once.

I gather that you're hoping to prove that without moderation - as we've
enjoyed for 11 years that I've experienced - if you keep on flooding the
list with so much off-topic crap, then we'll be forced into accepting
your wish for the list to be controlled, post by post, by some poor
bastard who needs to be awake 24/7/365 and has little else of a life.

I don't have the sort of free time (nor apparent need) that you have to
try fashioning this sometimes-helpful list after my own wishes, which is
why I get digests, posting occasionally where I think I can maybe help.
I'm also subscribed to about a dozen other FreeBSD lists that in total
deliver not many more messages per day than this one sometimes does.

You're not even being vaguely consistent.  You're fast to agree with our
resident M$ troll when he argues against government control of anything,
even of protecting the population from a 'free' market that's happy to
profit by poisoning people in body or mind, but then you insist we need
to establish another sort of 'government' to control what people want to
discuss on these lists?  Fortunately, that's just not going to happen.

You are quite capable of being helpful and even useful to the FreeBSD
Project, if you'd focus your energies on things you do know something
about and by widening your experience in areas covered by other lists.

You are equally as capable in this role as wannabe list wrecker, opining
on every second message including all the silly wildly off-topic ones.

You already HAVE the power to greatly improve this list.  Please do so.

Sincerely, Ian