FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p12 bind9 log files not found

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Sat May 30 15:36:16 UTC 2009

On Saturday 30 May 2009 17:01:17 Prokofyev Vladislav wrote:
> > The named running chrooted has no clue about /var/named. You can either
> > use ducttape:
> > cd /var/named/var && sudo ln -s .. named
> >
> > or just strip /var/named from your config file, hence use
> > /var/log/xfer.log.
> >
> > --
> > Mel
>
> This helped, thank you a lot.
> So, if I think in a right way, /usr/sbin/named with -t start option don't
> effect on any symlinks etc.

Erm, yes or ... no. I suggest you read up on chroot.
The short answer is that relative symlinks within the chroot environment work
while absolute ones should take into the account the new filesystem root.

> I didn't pay attention to this cause named(8)
> says:
>
> -t directory
>       Chroot to directory after processing the command line arguments,
>       but before reading the configuration file.

and have a look at what /etc/namedb really is:
# ls -l /etc/namedb
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 May 21 06:24 /etc/namedb ->
/var/named/etc/namedb

And this demonstrates chroot a bit:
# cp /rescue/ls /var/named/

# chroot /var/named /ls -l /etc/namedb
total 1
drwxr-xr-x  2 53  0    512 Feb 28 05:57 dynamic
drwxr-xr-x  2 0   0    512 May 15 13:42 master
-rw-r--r--  1 0   0  11714 May 15 14:40 named.conf
-rw-r--r--  1 0   0   2956 May 15 13:42 named.root
-rw-------  1 53  0     97 Apr 18 10:29 rndc.key
drwxr-xr-x  2 53  0    512 May 30 11:21 slave

>       Warning: This option should be used in conjunction with the
>       -u option, as chrooting a process running as root doesn't
>       enhance security on most systems; the way chroot(2) is
>       defined allows a process with root privileges to escape a
>       chroot jail.
>
> And I thought that all actions for proper work are made by named :)

They are, you just need reference the right path, the one without /var/named,
or use relative paths where the working directory is /etc/namedb. So one would
get to /var/log using:
file "../../var/log/xfer";

--
Mel