Stable Mail Server And Web Mail

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:50:24 UTC 2009

2009/5/27 Mel Flynn
<mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net<mel.flynn%2Bfbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net>

> On Monday 25 May 2009 13:53:40 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > > Hello all ,  I want to install a  Mail Server with  Webmail,
> > >
> > > Anybody to know a good Stable Mail Server and Web Mail
> >
> > I recommend the following step-by-step instructions:
> > http://www.purplehat.org/?page_id=4
>
> It's a detailed how-to but consider the following:
> a) With Oracle acquiring Sun, one should move to PostgreSQL where ever
> possible.
> b) Spam Assassin is a resource hog, use mail/dspam.
> c) While postfix-admin is ok for one box setup, it doesn't scale at all -
> you'll have to install it for every physical machine to manage that
> specific
> database for that box. I know of no alternatives, hence I'm rolling my own.

Just thought I should make a couple comments, it's not a message to change
or correct Mel's message but rather just a idea on a possible solution I
have deployed and would like input and experience/results relayed to me.

Put whatever MTA you want, I use postfix primarily.  sendmail would work
too, but I don't know exim or qmail.

Install OpenBSD's spamd (that works with PF, and ipfw support is early, but
there) on the host to block the (at last count) ~460k hosts and subnets that
are known spammers so your MTA doesn't even have to mess with it.
Include DNS Blacklisting support with your MTA.  These are the servers that
have mistakenly sent out a spam and gotten caught.  DNSBL will report to the
client that it's being blocked and how to remove it.

I'd love to hear success stories with this.  Both pieces together work very
well, and I am still working on seeing if any spam does come through.  If
spam does come through, a product like dspam or spamassassin could finish
off the job.

I don't have a live domain, so I can give directions if anybody's
interested.  Maybe one day I'll write up an article for this.

I ask please - for those who are interested in trying this, to give me the
success or not-so-success stories so I can fine tune it and work out the
missing link.

--Tim