portupgrade jails

David Collins davidcollins001 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:01:07 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have several jails for the purpose of not trashing my root partition
with junk programs that I may not need and also to learn how to run
various system services, ie dns, http, mysql, samba etc. I have been
running them for a while and have only just updated the jail root
after rebuilding world.

I have been using portupgrade to rebuild the host ports I have
installed. What I would like it know is if it is possible to use
portupgrade on the host system to update the jail ports. So like when
rebuilding world a destdir is specified and is populated with the new
world, is it possible to do the same with portupgrade? The reason is
because I don't want to have to install portupgrade and ruby several
times, also I can script the upgrade easily too.

I have been reading through the ports and portupgrade man pages and
setting environment variables to the appropriate directories in the
jail to try to get this to work but so far no luck. Portupgrade wants
to upgrade the host ports

Here is what I have tried so far:

viper:~$ export DISTDIR=/usr/jails/xserver/var/tmp/
viper:~$ export WRKDIRPREFIX=/usr/jails/xserver/var/tmp/
viper:~$ export PREFIX=/usr/jails/xserver/usr/local/
viper:~$ export BATCH=yes
viper:~$ export PORT_DBDIR=/usr/jails/xserver/var/db/p
viper:~$ export PORT_DBDIR=/usr/jails/xserver/var/db/ports
viper:~$ export PKG_DBDIR=/usr/jails/xserver/var/db/pkg/
viper:~$ export PORTS_DBDIR=/usr/jails/xserver/var/db/ports
viper:~$
viper:~$ sudo portupgrade -narR

---- snip wanting to upgrade host ports ----