On the need for moderated questions lists

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lcwords.com
Fri May 29 17:05:55 UTC 2009

>> - questions about purely FreeBSD-specific and FreeBSD-dependend things
>> of
>> ported programs. For example:
>>
>> ---
>> I start program X, configure it the same way as in linux, installed all
>> the same modules, but here it crashes/behave differently. For example:
>> --- here some output ---
>> Where is a problem
>> ---

Or take a real-life usage. I have upgraded my system to 7.2-Release. Ever
since upgrading, logrotate ceased to work.

Now, in this case - where should I post it? Does it belong to the
moderated and purely OS-related list (after all the problem seems related
to the upgrade) or to the unmoderated one (since it involves logrotate
utility)?

It happens in life that when you have sets of clearly defined rules, they
quickly become impossible to follow because you constantly need to tweak
them, add new ones, etc.

Or the questions about gmirror which Mr Puchar really knows a lot about.
Where would they go? Surely they should not be discussed on the moderated
list as we're in the software venue, right?

If you (still addressing Mr Puchar) want some sort of an exclusivist
group, it would probably be best if you set up one, contacted FreeBSD team
and negotatiated the terms of placing a link to it somewhere on
www.freebsd.org (and sponsoring the Team by the way ;)...

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.fairtrade.net.pl