Growing a ZFS file system

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Fri May 29 12:21:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a zfs pool of about 700GB, on it, i have a file system, home,
> mounted
> on /home and its 200GB. The file system has reached 100% capacity and im in
> need of growing it... Unfortunately i cannot find any documentation on how
> to grow a zfs file system. Any one done this?
>
> PS: I want to grow my file system to 400GB
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike
>
> Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
> a million chances happen 99% of the time.

If you mounted /honme as a file system on the pool of 700 GB and you didn't
used any attributes
of zfs to force /home to have *only* 200GB than you just have to remove the
attributes regarding the space.

ZFS grows automatically, you don't have to manually enlarge it.
The above is true if the filesystem is ZFS not UFS on top of ZFS.

network warrior since 2005