Canon printer and TurboPrint

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu May 28 19:53:46 UTC 2009

>> The problem is that most buyers are more happy when they get "added value"
>> "for free" like tons of CD's
>
> Even if they never use it.

but they HAVE. You probably observed already that lots of people buy
things to HAVE them. You are right.

>> Manufacturers do what market required, no matter how dumb it is. Those who
>> didn't already failed.
>
> "The worst solution always prevails" and "People want crap,
> they get crap" seem to have established as laws of the market.

Not all people, but most. The problem is that there are less and less
people that do not want a crap.

Low enough that making products for them isn't a business.

>> As windows user may get scared hearing the word "unix", [...]
>
> No no, UNIX doesn't exist, and it's outdated anyway, just like
> mainframes. :-)

oh yes i forgot.

>> i just run lpr to print postscript file, or print directly from programs
>> through lpr
>
> I'm happy to keep on doing so now, too. :-)

99.999% basic things that user needs is already invented on unix for even
20 or more years.

Now we have more and more "new technologies" that reinvent it most more
inefficient and overcomplex way.

Even more - complexity is always marketed as adventage.

> That's intended by the marked (because users intend so). Buying
> new printers all day long is normal, so you always have a "top
> of the line" printer. :-)

that will break down within at most 2 years.