Sponsoring FreeBSD

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu May 28 19:09:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 06:12:11PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 02:38:46PM -0500, Neal Hogan wrote:

> > > If you stopped using FreeBSD BECAUSE OF FORUM, congratulations ;)
> > >
> > > This means that OS functionality is not important for you at all!
> >
> > Well, that certainly doesn't follow.
>
> Actually, that one does.
> If you use FreeBSD because of the OS functionality/reliability, etc
> then trashy noise on the questions list wouldn't make a difference
> in your choice.   If you stop using it because you don't like the
> noise, then functionality is not your high priority.    Maybe saying
> 'at all' is over the top.    But, anyway, the noise is getting tiresome -
> even mine.

False dichotomy.

It is possible to value both the quality of the community support *and*
the characteristics of the OS, and for sufficient problems in one to
overcome the benefits of the other.  It's not a matter of *only* the
community discussion venue *or* the technical characteristics of the OS
to matter.  Both can matter and, when one fails spectacularly enough for
a particular person's needs, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that
person to choose a different OS based on a better (for his/her purposes)
combination of OS and community quality.

I, of course, tend to find the FreeBSD community quite wonderful, as OS
communities go -- aside from one particular fly in the ointment.  Combine
that with the excellence of the documentation and the technical (and
licensing) benefits of the OS itself, and I'm happy being here.  I can
understand how some of the failures in the community to be a perfect ray
of sunshine might put off some users, though, without immediately jumping
to the conclusion that those users don't give a crap about the quality of
the OS at all.

Quoth Joel Ryder: "Ask Ren is definitely faster than Ask Jeeves.  Jeeves
doesn't give you an attitude though, so I guess it's a trade off."