Remotely edit user disk quota

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Thu May 28 17:04:45 UTC 2009

2009/5/28 Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de>:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:04:43 -0500, Kirk Strauser <kirk at strauser.com> wrote:
>> Well, I can transfer 25MB/s between hosts on the LAN without my CPU ever
>> breaking 10% CPU usage.  I'm of the opinion that most people don't need to
>> optimize for CPU in such cases when the security payoffs are so great.
>
> As Wojciech pointed out correctly before, security is only as
> good as the weakest point. Of course you can add security by
> using SSH, and it's definitely indicated when doing things via
> the Internet. As long as you are inside your own net, covered
> from the Internet, with only trustworthy machines inside it,
> you could even use telnet.
>
> Connecting systems by a security tunnel that already adds means
> of cryptography, and you consider this tunnel to be secure
> enough, the above situation applies. But you can always SSH
> inside a security tunnel, if you want. It just increases
> security. "The more the better." :-) At the point where this
> "the more" generates so much overhead that things are lagging,
> stalling or just work much too slow, or slower than they
> should, you can re-thing the situation.
>

> --
> Polytropon
> >From Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

I know I sound like Theo, but security and reliability are ALWAYS more
important than overhead or speed. Always. Since the OP asked for

<quote>

How could I nicely and securely connect from the script on the web
server to the file server, in order to edit the quota? It should be
nice and secure and without password.

</quote>

He even said 'secure' twice. There is a web server involved, meaning
possibility of compromise (we all know how secure web servers tend to
be), and then one has access to network traffic for sniffing. Also, if
this is for quotas, then surely the people accessing the server via
*NFS* are inside the network?

Chris