Canon printer and TurboPrint

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 28 16:21:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009 14:42:31 +0200 (CEST), Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
> > While FBSD has many fine uses, primarily in the server department, it
> > is solely lacking as a full service desktop replacement for me. I
>
> As usual it depends on needs - for me it provides all i need for operating
> system. But it's really off-topic

I may add that I'm using FreeBSD exclusively (!) on my desktop
since version 4.0 without any problems. I just don't describe
the use "desktop" with "runs 'Flash' flawlessly". As Wojciech
siad, it completely depends on what you are going to do with
your system. The FreeBSD OS is just the basis for this, not
the entire means.

> > By the way, using a headless Win PC as a print server takes up virtually
> > no space, its power consumption is inconsequential, and I am not even
>
> anyway buing standard-compliant printer seems like simpler and cheaper
> solution for me.

It's worth mentioning that you need to buy along with the
printer: the PC and the license for "Windows". I'm not sure
what this costs altogether, but maybe it justifies buying
an office-class printer that is fully standard-compliant and
will serve you more years than a non-printer would.

> Even if it would be slightly more expensive, i would prefer it, to keep
> things simple.

Doesn't even need to be more expensive. It just depends on
how much time (and here we are again) you spend on researching
and evaluating which product is the best for your particular
needs.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany