Formatted text conversion

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 28 09:17:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:41:56 -0700, Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have e-books in several formats (DOC, LIT, PDF, RTF, HTML, TXT,
> etc). Is there a Unix command-line tool that converts between these
> formats?

As it has been mentioned before, there's not the "one tool" for
everything, but you can easily use OpenOffice to process most
of them, and finally turn them into plain text, either by using
OO's export function (save as text), or ^A ^C, change to your
favourite text editor, ^V ^S.

There are of course command line tools that let you do this
without interaction, which is great when you want to process
a bunch of files.

> If not, is there at least a tool that converts these formats to TXT?

To ASCII text:	DOC: catdoc
		RTF: unrtf, rtfx
		PDF: pdftotext
		HTML: lynx -dump

> My goal is to read these books on my Kindle, even if it means losing
> some formatting/bells/whistles.

If the Kindle does support PDF (I don't know if it does), wouldn't
that be a better alternative, because it lets you keep the format
of the document?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany