rsync approach

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Thu May 28 09:02:18 UTC 2009

> we have 2 static ip addresses with a machine running 7.2 connected to
> each.
>
> one is the primary server, while the other does only dns and receives
> bkp dumps from the first.
>
> we want to set things up so the 2nd can be brought on line at a moment's
> notice.
>
> therefore, we are thinking of rsync to duplicate 1st > 2nd (with the
> exception of rc.conf and a few other files of course because we don't
> want them to be absolutely identical).
>
> we plan to allow root login and have disabled all password access so
> that rsync can preserve permissions.

i don't catch why disabling password access will allow rsync to preserve
permission. It will preserve just when you give proper option

> is this a good way to accomplish the bkp job?

yes it is.

There is another way too - having both adventage and disadventage.

1) make an option in FreeBSD loader menu to run ramdisk-freebsd (ramdisk
from file). Put on that cutdown ramdisk system only startup of ggated with
a disk

2) on main machine run ggatec and gmirror. you will get network mirrored
hard disk. make this procedure conditional so it runs only on first
machine (for eg check MAC address of your network interface)

in case of machine 1 fail, you just run second with normal, instead of
ramdisk mode.

It has adventage of full realtime replication, but it's disadventage in
the same time.

For example if you run rsync once per 2 hours, and you by accident delete
a lots of things, you can recover.

with gmirror way it is instantly replicated so you can't recover