rsync approach

prad prad at towardsfreedom.com
Wed May 27 22:32:00 UTC 2009

we have 2 static ip addresses with a machine running 7.2 connected to
each.

one is the primary server, while the other does only dns and receives
bkp dumps from the first.

we want to set things up so the 2nd can be brought on line at a moment's
notice.

therefore, we are thinking of rsync to duplicate 1st > 2nd (with the
exception of rc.conf and a few other files of course because we don't
want them to be absolutely identical).

we plan to allow root login and have disabled all password access so
that rsync can preserve permissions.

is this a good way to accomplish the bkp job?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's