Formatted text conversion

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:41:57 UTC 2009

I have e-books in several formats (DOC, LIT, PDF, RTF, HTML, TXT,
etc). Is there a Unix command-line tool that converts between these
formats?

If not, is there at least a tool that converts these formats to TXT?

My goal is to read these books on my Kindle, even if it means losing
some formatting/bells/whistles.