Better version of ispell?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:39:27 UTC 2009

Is there a version/improvment of ispell that:

 % Lets you exclude certain sections of a file from spellchecking?
 Example: I often email sendmail logs with their random-character
 queue ids. I don't want ispell to check those cut/pasted logs.

 % Lets you declare correctly-spelled words as being incorrect?

  % Example: I often misspell the word "cron" as "corn"; ispell
  obviously doesn't catch this. I rarely use the word "corn". I want
  to remove "corn" from the dictionary w/o actually tweaking
  /usr/dict/words or whatever ispell uses. I know you can *add* words
  (using %$HOME/.ispell_english for example), but what spellchecker
  lets you *remove* them as well?

I know about aspell, but think it suffers from the same limitations
(in fact, ti may be the same program?)

I posted a similar query to aspell-user at gnu.org earlier, but got no
reply, so I thought I'd try this list instead.

[for absolute pedants: yes, I misspelled improvement incorrectly up there!]