FreeBSD & Software RAID

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon May 25 17:48:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 07:09:15PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >I have looked at ZFS recently. Appears to be a memory hog, needs
> >about 1 GB especially if large file transfers may occur over gigabit
> >ethernet
>
> while it CAN be set up on 256MB machine with a little big flags in
> loader.conf (should be autotuned anyway) - it generally takes as much
> memory as it's available, and LOTS of CPU power.
>
> with similar operations ZFS takes 10-20 TIMES more CPU than UFS and
> it's NOT faster than properly configured UFS. doesn't  make  any sense

It makes a certain degree of sense. Sometimes things have to be done
wrong for us to realize how good we had it before. How would we know how
great FreeBSD is if we didn't have Linux? I had to look at ZFS to decide
not to use it when I rebuild my storage this week due to a failing
drive.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net