FreeBSD & Software RAID

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon May 25 17:09:24 UTC 2009

> I have looked at ZFS recently. Appears to be a memory hog, needs about 1
> GB especially if large file transfers may occur over gigabit ethernet
while it CAN be set up on 256MB machine with a little big flags in
loader.conf (should be autotuned anyway) - it generally takes as much
memory as it's available, and LOTS of CPU power.

with similar operations ZFS takes 10-20 TIMES more CPU than UFS and it's
NOT faster than properly configured UFS. doesn't  make  any sense