How can this 'top' command output make sense? Load over 7 and total CPU use ~5%

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Mon May 25 08:49:55 UTC 2009

2009/5/25 Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org>:
> Chris Rees wrote:

>>> amount of disk I/O is a measure of CPU load? seems you are true expert ;)
>>>

>> Do you ever think before you type? You regularly fill this mailing
>> list with crap, incorrect advice, and correcting experts on topics
>> that you haven't got a clue on.
>>
>> Just google load average and see for yourself.
>>
>> Remember checking things before making oneself look a fool? Perhaps
>> you used to do that at one time, most other people do.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I think Wojciech means '...which is NOT measure of CPU _utilization_'
>
> In that case he's correct: whenever the CPU has to wait a lot for I/O,
> like network and disk, then the _load_ will go up, while the CPU
> _utilization_ stays low.
>
> Peter

I appreciate that while English may not be people's first language,
and most have excellent skills (including Wojciech, don't get me
wrong) there is still a responsibility to make sure you can be
understood. He has been trying to mock me in my understanding of what
he wrote:

>>> amount of disk I/O is a measure of CPU load? seems you are true expert ;)

If you're going to do this, you should make sure that what you WROTE,
not mean, is correct. Otherwise, misinformation spreads and is saved
in these archives for someone to stumble upon.

Chris