4x quad core on freebsd

Cameron Jacobson cameron7 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 15:55:06 UTC 2009

I originally posted this on lucky.freebsd.questions newsgroup and
don't seem to be getting much love, so figured I might get a better
response out of one of freebsd's mailing lists.  Below is that
original post.  In case you think a different group may be better for
these questions, let me know.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------

I've been looking all over the web trying to find the performance
pros / cons of running a 4 cpu (16 core) system on FreeBSD.  I found
some useful info dated as recently as 2007.  I know alot has happened
in that amount of time, and I'm not familiar enough with the OS coding
requirements for such a system to find my answers in the FreeBSD
source code.

Here's what I'm planning on running.

--Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I should/nt run FreeBSD
on this system?

Tyan S4985
4 x AMD 8346HE 1.8Ghz (quad-core)
16GB DDR2

Also I want to run my main HDD as SSD (Sata II), I found some good
info about:
  OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal
Solid state disk (SSD)

--Will FreeBSD give me optimal performance with such an HDD?

I'd prefer to run FreeBSD, since I'm most familiar with it, but am not
against Linux since my ultimate goal is to get the best performance
out of the hardware that I can...

Thanks