My FreeBSD-current/Xen install notes

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at twincling.org
Tue May 19 04:24:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I don't think there's any support for Dom0 stuff in FreeBSD.
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/Xen has further information about what
> is and isn't supported at this time.
>
> Adrian
>
> 2009/5/19 Saifi Khan <saifi.khan at twincling.org>:
> > On Mon, 18 May 2009, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> >> I've started documenting (mostly for my own memory for now!) my
> >> experiences getting a working FreeBSD-current Xen environment
> >> together.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AdrianChadd/XenHackery
> >>
> >> Notable bits: pygrub works. :)
> >>
> >> Adrian
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > What is the extent of Dom0 support for FreeBSD 8.x with Xen
> > 3.3.x ?
> >
> > My interest is to run multiple guest OS hosted on a Xen-ified
> > (aka paravirtualized) FreeBSD 8.x on a multi-core intel or AMD64
> > box.
> >
> > Any pointers or observations ?

Hi Adrian:

Thank you for the clarification about "no dom0 support in
FreeBSD 8.x as of now".

Yes, i did visit the wiki link couple of months ago and in fact
dropped a mail to Kip as well :) there was no response, guess he
was busy.

i'd be thankful, if you could share your observations about the
following:

 . is dom0 support something that FreeBSD will target at some
   point in time or would be happy to be domU ?

 . there was some mention of vimage/bitvisor in one of the
   slides (i think on scribd.com). So, is it that jails getting
   extended to support virtualization+containers and thus a
   entirely different approach which does not use Xen ?

 . is it envisaged that a stable NetBSD dom0 implementation
   would then be ported to FreeBSD (maybe) ?

Thank you for your time.

thanks
Saifi.