Keyboard not working in gnome?

Christopher Arnold chris at arnold.se
Fri May 15 16:34:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 13:05 +0200, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> some more input on this.
>>
>> In Xorg.0.log i see:
>> (II) config/hal: Adding input device USB Receiver
>> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
>> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
>> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
>> (The at part makes sense, i only have USB on this machine)
>>
>> So i guess this is the problem and that a rebuild of gnome/X11 did not
>> help. It seems fairly close to the issues with hald/xorg.conf that we saw
>> the last time upgrading gnome.
>>
>> What is actually the right config nowdays?
>>
>> I have the following in xorg.conf:
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>      Identifier     "Simple Layout"
>>      Screen         "Screen 1" 0 0
>>      InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
>>      InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
>>      Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
>>      Option         "AutoAddDevices" "off"
>> EndSection
>
> Using the above, you shouldn't need the lines below.  Your devices need
> to be statically configured in xorg.conf.  If you are using hald, then
> remove both the AllowEmptyInput and AutoAddDevices lines above.  I
When i commment theese out i get neither keyboard or mouse.
Also i notice in the xorg logfile that my "Keyboard1" gets ignored
alltogether. That is if i would have got the keyboard to work i would have
a us one instead of my swedish.

>> And in /etc/rc.conf:
>> bus_enable="YES"
>> hald_enable="YES"

If i comment these out then gdm dosn't even start since gdm requiers them
i guess.

And yes this is a cutnpaste error...

Btw my config file and the logfiles are here:
http://www.arnold.se/xorg.conf
http://www.arnold.se/Xorg.0.log
http://www.arnold.se/Xorg.0.log.old

I guess i am doing a simple mistake somwhere, just cant figure what...

         /Chris