How to move vi to /bin

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu May 14 18:13:05 UTC 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009 12:38:30 Chris Rees wrote:
> 2009/5/13 Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net>:
> > On Wednesday 13 May 2009 11:34:43 Michael Powell wrote:
> >> Kind of like how those coming over from a
> >> Linux environment all seem to want to change root's shell to bash, it
> >> serves no purpose except foot-shooting.
> >
> > - csh cannot redirect stderr seperately from stdout
> > - on pipes the exit status from the first command is the exit status of
> > the total command
> > - will not expand matches without a user provided part, for *every*
> > component of a path
> >
> > There's plenty of reasons not to use csh and if you know what you're
> > doing, BSD lets you. And no, I don't want to type exec zsh when I'm
> > finally logged into the box that has a load of 100+.
>
> I think the problem with that is he meant changing the root shell to
> /usr/local/bin/bash. You're better off using /bin/sh if you want a
> Bourne-type shell, or using toor with /usr/local/bin/bash.

sh is worse then csh. And I said if you know what you're doing. My root shell
is less prone to break then the standard csh shell, because I compile it
statically (and also on the / partition).

On Thursday 14 May 2009 18:03:25 Chad Perrin wrote:

> I've never understood the resistance to just use toor instead of root if
> one wants a nonstandard administrative shell.

Habit, mostly. toor is one way of doing things, just changing the shell is the
other. Maybe it's my paranoia that I might be running software that does
string matches for root logins, rather then uid to disallow access ;)
--
Mel