Welcome to the "freebsd-questions" mailing list

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at twincling.org
Thu May 14 04:03:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

> > On Wed, 13 May 2009, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
> >

> > > (The true nomenclature is GNU/Linux when refering to a Linux based OS).
> >
> > Not true.
> >
> > Please see
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
> >

> > thanks
> > Saifi.
> >

> based on the wiki page (which we ALL know is NEVER wrong) states that
> GNU/Linux is the correct form and the ONLY reason for calling it just Linux is
> that its easier to say and that's how its known overall in mainstream media.

based on Linus Torvalds (which we ALL know is RIGHT) states that

when asked if the name GNU/Linux was justified:

    Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you
    actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way
    that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux"
    or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own
    distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but
    calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" i
    I think is just ridiculous.

(G)ot (N)othing (U)nique takes years since 1989 for http://is.gd/zGZh

Hope this helps.