Welcome to the "freebsd-questions" mailing list

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed May 13 16:57:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 08:33:44PM +0530, Shakil Khan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone let me know how can I download FreeBSD kernel source code. I am
> on Linux and am not able to download using CVS. Can someone point me exactly
> and also if some links are available where I can download tar ball of
> FreeBSD kernek source code.

My suggestion would be to download the latest ISO and install it on
a machine with full source.  Then you will have kernel and everything
to make a FreeBSD including the correct compilers and libraries.

Kernel is really dealt with differently in FreeBSD than in Linux.
Although there is a kernel, it is intimately part of the whole
operating system, not a kernel which someone grabs makes up a separate
distribution with.

////jerry