FreeBSD 8.0: how to exchange order of recognized HDA devices?

Wed May 13 08:31:14 UTC 2009

Quoting "O. Hartmann" <ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de> (from Wed, 13 May
2009 07:34:56 +0000):

> The problem occured after the installation of an ATI HD4670 graphics
> board, on which one can find an additional HDA device found by the
> kernel before the on-board HDA device is found.
> So many clients, like vlc, mplayer etc. do have problems - they
> either play no sound through the usual pathways (via on-board
> soundcard/chip and the attached speakerset and/or headphones).
> I see 4 mixer-devices: mixer0 through mixer3. mixer0 seems to be
> attached to the graphics-card, mixer1 shows the usual devices I
> recognize and mixer 2 and 3 are unknown to me, they show up only 2
> facilities.
>
> To make things simple: is there a way to change order of the found
> HDA controller?

No, but you can do
   sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=1
or an appropriate line in /etc/sysctl.conf instead.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Our business in life is not to succeed
but to continue to fail in high spirits.