Booting question

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon May 11 22:55:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 10 May 2009, Michel Di Croci wrote:

> When I boot, it takes about 5 mins before being up and running. Since it's
> my first FreeBSD, I didn't thought there was an issue, but I think there's
> one ;)
>
> I have a P4 2.8 HT which is too bad computer and I really think the issue is
> in freeBSD and the Giant Locked and stuff like that. The computer stays in a
> waiting "mode" for about 3 minutes or something like that. It's unbearable,
> however, since I reboot like once in a month, it's not that bad ;) But I'm
> still wondering why it's so slow.

It would help to know what shows on the screen.  But my first guess is
sendmail trying to get a FQDN and timing out.

What happens if you press ctrl-c when it's waiting?

Second guess is that you have some external USB device that your BIOS is
trying to use for booting.  Without knowing what the screen shows, it's
hard to say.