Advices for a jailed MySQL server

Martin Turgeon freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Mon May 11 19:19:40 UTC 2009

Bill Moran a écrit :

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm starting to build a new dedicated MySQL server. I will be using
>> FreeBSD 7.2-REL. My plan is to jail the latest version of MySQL 5.0 and
>> to put the MySQL data outside the jail. My objective is to be able to
>> update MySQL without down time. My objective would be to create another
>> up to date MySQL jail and when I'm ready to make the switch, just point
>> the new jail to the data outside the jail using something like a nullfs
>> mount.
>>
>> Is someone using something like this?
>>
>> Did someone have any advice about how to update a MySQL server without
>> down time?
>>
>> Did someone have any advice on how to tune a dedicated MySQL server
>> running FreeBSD 7.2 (Dual core Xeon, 4G RAM, mirror RAID on a PERC5
>> controler 2x146G 15K)?
>>
>> Thanks everyone for sharing your precious knowledge :)
>
> I expect that what you're trying to do will work, however it's
> horrifically error-prone during the upgrade procedure (what if you
> forget to stop the first MySQL before you start the new one!)
>
> If you need to do anything zero-downtime, then you probably want
> to run multiple MySQL instances and use database replication to
> keep the data in sync.  That way you just switch which DB is
> master, then upgrade the slave ... rinse/repeat.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry for the late response...

I thought about the risk of the procedure and that's why I asked here
hoping that someone had a better idea!

Do you mean to have another jail with an up to date slave MySQL, get it
in sync with the master and then switch the config file of the slave to
make it a master, restart the new MySQL, change the config so that the
apps are connecting to the new DB?

Martin